- Category: Recent Projects
- Created on Sunday, 30 October 2011 10:48
- Written by Sebastian
- Hits: 1387
Classic example of a average size kitchen with big potential of functionality and eye catching look. Home improvement projects has main common goal to bring the most for homeowner bucks.
The key in this project was to find budget fitting elements in this kitchen that upgraded or enhanced will make the biggest impact for overall look and will put a shadow of freshness on cabinets, main counter top that won't be changed this time.
Where the story begins ...
Here are few pics that shows initial look of this open floor plan kitchen in one of Richboro / PA household before we came into action.
As you may see the kitchen is in excellent condition, cabinets are in great shape, color and finish. Although the kitchen overall shape is next to perfect and serve the purpose feeding family of five every day it doesn't really have a determinate style, seems to be without the "spices". One of homeowner biggest wishes was to bring more island counter space since that's a favorite spot for any meal despite the fact of bigger and bigger dinning tables we tend to have in our kitchens.
Here are the purchased elements that we've spent kitchen improvement money on:
- new back splash tiles, 2"x 4" natural stone looking travertine
- brand new kitchen island granite counter top, larger than existing one to maximize the counter space, darker color sets the contrast for entire kitchen
- new addition of three pendant lights hung above the kitchen island counter top
- decorative moldings with architectural corbels to dress up the island, goal was to design kitchen island trim work so it blends with
style of cabinets but same time stands out creating a dramatic looking focal point and center piece joining all kitchen elements together
- new in-cabinet pull out trash bins on Euro-Slides
- kitchen 15.4" flat screen TV / DVD combo unit underneath the cabinet
Somewhere in between ...
Work type involved in this project:
- electrical works, new installation for three pendant light fixtures with dimmer switch
- cable TV and power outlet inside top cabinet for TV / DVD unit
- sheetrock removal (came out with old tiles) and new sheetrock installation
- new tiles installation along with grouting and tile / grout sealing
- cabinets alterations for pull out trash bins installation, changing the way doors open etc.
- kitchen island relocation due to larger new counter top to leave the proper spacing around
- custom woodwork, decorative moldings on the island
- custom finish painting, kitchen island was finished using "sand off" effect pretending old, wore look
The happy end !
Total cost of this quick kitchen makeover including all labor, materials (tiles, granite top, light fixture, moldings, paint) is roundabout $5000.
Time frame due to multi coating island for special paint finish requiring 48 hrs curing time between three different coats - 1 up to 2 weeks.